Thursday, July 19, 2012

I Can Statements

Pin It
The Common Core Standards format very easily into I CAN statements for students. Many of these simply restate the standards in easy to understand language. However, when unpacking . . . the skills or tasks can be analyzed further.

For instance, when working with 3.OA.2, multiplication arrays tasks require students to understand horizontal and vertical lines on a grid. They need to connect the vocabulary of rows (horizontal) and columns (vertical) with the process of following with the finger along to count. This is one of my favorite skills to assess because it is foundational for so many visual problems ---graphing, coordinates, area, multiplication, fractions. You get the concept.

If a child can't follow rows and columns visually, the deficiency will cross over domains. I believe that's the center of the Core. As a teacher, I must uncover the misconceptions or gaps that keep my students from performing with the new expectations.

During this time spent on my creative journey with my Student Interactive Notebook on 3.0A, I'm also exploring interesting and efficient mediums to include that will help students understand concepts. The I CAN STATEMENTS will be a foundational tool in lesson planning. I can make a taxonomy of layers that will highlight a student's level.

Kids love working in levels. All the current "hot" games use levels. And, I can teach the children how to draw icons for problem solving and skills to infuse their writing.

Here's an example of my process today. I made my first digital doodle. First, I created the pen drawing. Then, I scanned it as a jpeg (in color mode). As soon as it appeared on the desktop, I opened it in my photo editor. Using layers, I put the can inside the border. I colored it and erased some of the dust.

Instead of writing "I CAN", we can draw an EYE CAN!



0 comments:

Quote

"Those that are burdened to believe in the impossible need to get out of the way of those that are breathing reality into exceptions!"---V. S. Bell

Visitor Stats