Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to teach students to EXPLAIN in math!

Pin It
  • I'm working on the 3.OA standards. And I found a blog in Bright Hub that explained how to teach subtraction with the strategy of breaking-it-down in context, focusing on how teachers should be relevance to math problems.
    Isn't that the rigor of common core standards in math?

    But then, students need to explain and/or justify their solutions.

    I found there are two levels that students need to organize for writing in math. First, they need to have a structured problem solving process. You've probably seen a 4-step problem solving process before that labeled the steps with Understand, Make a Plan, Try it Out, and Look Back. Or, it might say Explore, Plan, Solve, Examine. However, I found an alternative 4-step process that looks less wordy (complicated) and most Common Core of all that I previewed. I call it the SUPER SLOOTH process because it includes the same language used in reading comprehension skills (who, what, how). You can read more about this problem-solving process here.
    Here's a school resource that has links for problem solving with graphic icons, templates, a problem-solving song and testing samples. It doesn't follow the SUPER SLOOTH process, but it's all good stuff.

    The second level includes helping students write an explanation for their work. They need a list of strategy tools. How many strategies are there? Common Core standards strive for rigor and depth. Student writing is evidence of strategy ownership. My previous question should be revised. How many strategies does Johnny have in his toolbox?

    I'm working on a list of statements for students to use to explain math problem solving work.

    I put the problem in my own words.

    I decided to ______________.

    I drew a picture.
    I checked to make sure it was right by _____________.
    I noticed a pattern.
    I added.
    I subtracted.
    I multiplied.
    I divided.
    I made a list.
    I made a table.
    I made a graph.
    I wrote a number sentence.
    I wrote an equation.
    I used the fact family.
    I used the inverse operation.
    I worked backwards.
    This pdf list sample responses.

    Do you need problem solving graphic icons to use in your class? Click here to visit FCPS and download.

    Here's a template I made (with some 3.OA specific icons) to show student work and help with written explanations. (There's a color jpeg and a BW!)









Situations that require writing explanations: EXEMPLARS

I appreciate the tasks included in these samples on a WIKI . . . even thought the old typed copy is difficult to read in places.

Here are some EXEMPLARS and rubrics for grade levels.

Here are some NYC EXEMPLARS (listed by grade level).

Ontario EXEMPLARS and rubrics (3rd grade)

IOWA EXEMPLARS

NYSED Peformance Indicators and samples of student work





0 comments:

Quote

"Those that are burdened to believe in the impossible need to get out of the way of those that are breathing reality into exceptions!"---V. S. Bell

Visitor Stats