Sunday, July 8, 2012

3.OA Notebook

Pin It

I enjoyed the Kindergarten Kindergarten Blog by Kathryn. She presents engaging activities with math journals and Reading Workshop. But, I was most interested in her great pictures and details about her students work with measurement and their notebooks. I thought the examples might inspire even upper elementary students to show work in a journal.

Why was I so interested in these Kindergarten journals? This summer I am working a sample for a Student Interactive Notebook to document performance tasks. I'm starting with 3rd grade, Multiplication Strand. (Each strand will have a separate notebook.) My choice for the notebook itself is a 120 page composition book. I think the smaller format will be easier to store. Also, the students will not be so tempted to tear out pages. And, best of all . . . my handouts can be printed two to a page!

The main schema for problems solving shown in the notebook will be structured following Singapore Math model drawing. It will also include a strong vocabulary and process guides. But, the part that will require the most research is finding relevant performance products.







This is a sample of a foldable in the 3.OA. Student Interactive Notebook. On the outside of the bottom petal (the one folded on the front), write the essential question (How do I know when to Multiply? Click here to print or download.






Here's a sample performance prompt included in the notebook.

Click here to print or download.

Another question,

How do I help student EXPLAIN problem solving processes in content writing?

Here's a great resource that gives details about strategies and background for writing in math class! MCREL.org. Look for more about this on my blog entry (to be posted soon).

Reference sites for lessons:
These are the places I stopped while researching activities for 3.OA!




Samples of Performance Tasks:

0 comments:

Quote

"Those that are burdened to believe in the impossible need to get out of the way of those that are breathing reality into exceptions!"---V. S. Bell

Visitor Stats