Friday, June 15, 2012

Write the Plan - Give it to Them!

Pin It I've spent most of my waking hours during the past 15 years honing my expertise in technology and task analyzing student deficiencies.  My effort's payback was multiplied with every student success.  Victory or failure both fueled my continued desire to combine everything I knew about teaching into an efficient, progressive package.  If my students succeeded, I studied and developed new plans.  If my students flopped (on the big test), then I studied and developed new plans.  The exhaustive, constant organization and reorganization of materials and supplies weighed heavy on the given hours of a day.  If I only had eight arms and eight brains!   

All of my spent energy was justified with statements such as, "I'll be ready next year," or "Next year, I'm going to be so organized," or even "This activity is really going to work!"  As the tide of Common Core washes over me, I'm busy once again settling into the learning curve of a new format.  But this time around, Blogs may save the day!  Seriously! 

For instance, while searching for available lesson plans for common core standards, I found a blog by Paul Bogden.  His concept of Student Centered Learning describes a format to teach Common Core standards where,  "the plan guides the students to learn vocabulary, copy and learn examples, and do examples on their own."  After reading his examples, memories of some of my favorite successful strategies jumped up and saluted.  (Look for my adapted lesson plan to follow!)  It will be DFU ( Done For You.).

The following are Bogden's lesson plan strategies.  I applaud this simple approach.

  • Strategy One: Write detailed lesson plans and give them to the students to execute.
  • Strategy Two: Teach good note-taking skills.
  • Strategy Three: Keep students motivated.
  • Strategy Four: Make tests a real-time learning experience.
  • Strategy Five: Grade for learning.

Read his article and additional blogs to learn more.


How do his strategies apply to those I've already used with success in my classroom?  I've attached my FOUR STEP LESSON PLAN learner statements as applied.



What's in it for me? (Essential Question)
Strategy One:  Write detailed lesson plans.  Include the "script" using the SMARTBOARD or WIKI.  Provide assistance via the lesson plans.  Technology can provide audio support and reach multiple learning styles.   PROS:  Easily shared.  Easily updated.  No copies required.  CONS:  Power supply or tech gremlin weakness. 

Give me the facts!  (Vocabulary, steps, text material)
Strategy Two:  My fourth grade students became very good note takers.  However, I used mapping and cartooning to add interest to their math journals.  I allowed them to use the journals on tests and homework.  I also made I CAN stickers to adorn their journals after they succeeded on assessments.  Here's a sample


Let me practice! (Rotating groups at stations, time for reading, math games, etc.)
Strategy Three
I understand completely that some students have perfected skills to avoid work.  However, Brogden's activities shined light on opportunities to give individual remediation or help students that need it the most.  My facilitating time during this stage of the lesson would be flexible.  The climate of the classroom would dictate the level of teacher involvement.  (Low performing students need MORE of ME.)  If PLC's are working correctly, powerful groups of misbehavior could be disbanded. 

During section of the lesson, I could update my individual student I CAN checklists.  I keep these in a large ringbinder tabbed with each name.  The skills or standards are given to students each month as a guide for learning.  Here's a sample.  (Note:  Students can earn stickers for mastering or completing assignments.)


Let me teach you!
Strategies Four and Five(Project Based Learning and Ongoing Assessments)  
For me, this is truly the exciting part of Common Core.  We've had student portfolios in the past.  I found fault with them because the material was not provided or monitored by the administration.  Regular worksheets were the standard.  The waste of file drawer space was almost laughable.  Hopefully, exemplars and rubrics will finally be understood and used. 

I'm so excited about this strategy and student-oriented format.  Now, let's see where it takes me.


0 comments:

Quote

"Those that are burdened to believe in the impossible need to get out of the way of those that are breathing reality into exceptions!"---V. S. Bell

Visitor Stats