Friday, June 20, 2008

Pan Balance

Pin It


What steps do you teach for a pan balance problem?

Below is an explanation of "math thinking" needed to solve for a pictorial variable. The passage is a good example of a "repeated reading" sample to build math vocabulary fluency.

Steps:

  • First, I looked at the balance to compare the numerals. I saw the squares were not congruent. They were not the same size even though they were the same shape.



  • The balance is the same as an equal mark. I can write a number sentence using the digits on the scale. They are the addend that will give an even sum.



  • On the right side of the scale, the addend 1 is odd. I know that the mystery number must be odd to make an even answer.



  • If I add the two numbers on the left, the total is 6. (2 + 4 = 6). The value of the right side must be the same! If I make a subtraction problem using the digits, it would be 6 – 1 = ____. So, the difference is 5!

Resources:

0 comments:

Quote

"Those that are burdened to believe in the impossible need to get out of the way of those that are breathing reality into exceptions!"---V. S. Bell

Visitor Stats